Day two of the guinea pig nail trimming attemps, a success!
I trimmed all six of they're back nails and trimmed several front nails.
As I was holding the black and brown one the white one nipped at my finger and I immediatly flinched and let the litte guinea pig free to inspect my finger. No blood and no pain, whew. I felt bad about rewarding the guinea pigs actions but she didn't hurt me just nibbled so I decided a new tactic with the brown and black one (from now on referred to as B) I picked her up completely and held her with one hand against my chest. To my surprise she was completely still and never struggled as I imagined she would. Just before you take them completely off the ground they struggle because they are afraid of being picked up but once you've picked them up there's nothing they can do. In this way they're back toes were spread and the nails do not exhibit the curling that the front ones do so the trimming was quick and easy.
The front nails of B are a sad story. They're lenth prevents proper hygine and posture. I removed a deal of grime before I could get to the nails. There is one that spirals around like a cork screw that is the worst for hygeine but accesible to trim. And there is another nail, I think on the other paw, that is curled up under the next toe so that the tip is flush with the top of the foot. I tried but wasn't able to get the right angle on the nail or to move it out from under the toe to trim it. There's always next time.
I consider today a nail trimming success.
I see many animals in the shelter that have long nails, alothough the situation of overgrown nails on dogs is much different than that of the guinea pigs, I can't help but cringe. I think that most people just don't trim their animals nails because it's not a fun experience, normally the animal hates it, even though it's for their own good and sometimes it's impossible to restrain the animal for the trimming. This doesn't seem to be the case with the guinea pigs based on my success during a second attempt. The owners were most likely ignorant and neglectful.
I new nothing about the trimming of guinea pigs nails befor these two females came it, but I saw the damage, got the information, and acted.
On another note, the kittens in holding seem to have mulitplied over night. There are so many we can't keep them in the banks we have to set up carriers and stack them around the garage to keep them. This is the image Kim painted on my first week. I'm sure the numbers can still get worse and seeing them all like this makes me want to take one home. I've been very good so far about getting the gimmies but the daily care of the animals makes you feel like they are yours and you get to feel responsible for them. And who can resists kittens, especially when they're coming at you from all directions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment