Over the weekend 40 hamsters were relinquished along with their housing and water bottles. Most of them are unsexed and may be housed with the opposite sex = MORE HAMSTERS!! We're dealing with them around, and there may be a rescue home available for many of the hamsters.
Shelly was telling me they tried to consolodate them into the large rabbit cage but that they were attacking each other and not getting along. I've definitely seen this before, and at first it was devastating, how can we keep these hamsters if we can't put them in the cages together, we can't have 20 cages sitting around. As I was looking down on them forlornly I remembered a pet smart visit I'd made where I ran into my friend who worked there. He was unloading hamsters that had come in. He gave them a short little squirt with something before he put each one in the holding tank. I asked him what he was doing because it looked pretty bazaar to me, and he told me he was spraying dog cologne on them so they would all smell the same to each other.
I immediately ran back and told Shelly.
We dug out some cologne sprays from the grooming cabinet and I stashed one in the small animals cabinet. I gave the ones that had already been put in the adoption room a little spritz just in case they weren't done fighting (they were all sleeping in one house though and looked pretty congenial).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good work! Hope it worked. Maybe you were able to teach them something also!-- Mom
Post a Comment